Wednesday, August 26, 2009

You Look Good! ... For a Mom!!!














After spending 22 minutes of slight, almost sweaty morning chaos attempting to look better than pathetic, I walk at the door looking and feeling good, not great.  I know this current package of me is a quarter of who I used to be in the looks department. I mean back then I could spend hours accessorizing, fluffing, tweezing, curling, being adventurous and bold all to best reflect my inner personality.  Now, as most of you know, I am lucky if I get to shower, wash my face, or brush my teeth every morning!  And getting dressed, forget about it! I try really hard to buy pieces of clothing that are cute, in style, works for my body, and is kid friendly but really I am so far from stopping traffic or even getting complimented from my husband.  

After hearing this three times in one weekend, I had to pause and think about it for a minute. 

 "You look good... for a mom!" 

At first it sounds like a really nice compliment.  I know I try, sometimes.  After a few, I can't help but feel there is something wrong with the phrase. "..For a Mom". Is that the lowest tier of beauty and style? Where does that lie? What does that mean? ... You're not ugly, but keep trying we understand you are maxed out; ...You're not very stylish but at least your jeans don't come up to your nipples; .... You could look so much worse like you do most days; ... It doesn't look like you tried that hard so don't feel bad that you don't look awesome; ... I mean I can tell you haven't showered but you make it work... for a mom! It's so frustrating!

I know I don't look awesome. I know I don't have the time, energy, or care to try as hard as I should, but are your eyes burning from the sight of me? Has society on a whole put motherhood on the ugly, frumpy train? If by accident or unintentional lack of focus, we end up on this train ride, how the hell do we get off? Are we stuck there by title?  Or can we work our way back to a place of self pride? I am over it!!!

So, as of today, I am trying to Look Good For a Woman who manages a lot, not "For a Mom"! And by the way, you look good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment