Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Baby Buzz: Books and Such

Recently, I found out that a few distant friends were good on their way to Mommyland! There is no greater joy than the anticipation of an expected and sometimes long awaited arrival of a baby! You just have no concept of how large your heart and soul will become to absorb this angel into your world! Once it happens, you are changed in such amazing ways that you will never be able to look back! Congratulations new Mommies! You're journeys have just gone into a fantastic overdrive!

I remember when I was first pregnant. I was overcome with excitement, hopes, and wonder, but stricken by fears and worries. Would I be a good mom? Would I know what to do? Will I love this person enough? What about my husband? Who do I ask for help? How will I know if I need help? This list went on and on! As a result, I became a MAD researcher!!! I am a planner/preparer and I thought the more of these questions I could get out of the way, the more time and energy I could spend on cuddling with my baby! I probed friends and doctors, joined groups, took classes, read books and magazines, and spent countless hours with my pal Sir Google. Plus, I was the oldest of five, have 40+ first cousins, have a degree in Elementary Education and taught almost every grade in school. Needless to say, I felt like I stood on a pretty good foundation for motherhood, but NOTHING really prepares you except the experience itself! You think you know how to handle something and then POW the situation changes itself completely and you have to be flexible and resourceful enough to adapt. This basic skill is genetically programmed in us all and this instinct is what makes us good mothers! So don't waste the hours I did worrying. Enjoy the experience, stretch marks and all; for each phase from pregnancy to preschool lasts only for a moment! Savour the journey of becoming a supermom!

However, looking back there were some resources I wish I would have had before the going went tough and I was forced to find solutions! With the support from certain books, certain facts, and certain people maybe I would have had an easier go of it the first few years. Plus, these tools became extra handy with the arrival of my second son! He benefits from a wiser, calmer, more experienced mother. Yet, had I not kept notes, books, ect.. it would have been like having a first child all over again. I went through some sort of Mork & Mindy telaport and seemed to forget all I knew about babies! I mean I even forgot how to nurse!!! I had no doubts in my head beforehand that I had this mommy thing covered the second time around but whoa was I mistaken! Each child is it's own unique being and with that comes it's own unique joys, challenges, and journeys! I was lucky to have kept and already highlighted so many of these great books I list below! (The pink ones I couldn't live without! If you have to start somewhere on the list start there!) They are a constant resource for me and I am so happy to share these with you! I hope that you find at least one tidbit of info that helps you feel like you can handle anything!!!

With that, I must say there are TONS of resources out there! By no means do I advocate everything in all of these books for everyone! These were just the few that I stumbled across and within them have found some information or inspiration that I have come to love and appreciate through the years. Please take and use what feels comfortable for you and your family. I am a fan of ripping and pasting a bunch of ideas together to make something beautiful! Your instincts are the best resource you can use! Bottom line is: If you are happy and baby is happy, YOU are doing a GREAT job! Remember that! You will need to pat yourself on the back a lot! So do it! You hold your world and your baby's world on your shoulders! It is no easy job!!!! But, it comes with many rewards! Congratulations!

Basic Baby/Mommy Info:
The Baby Book, by William Sears, M.D. and Martha Sears, R.N.
The Happiest Baby on the Block, by Harvey Karp, M.D.
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg
Mothers Know Best, by Connie Correia Fisher and Joanne Correia
The Expectant Father, by Armin A Brott and Jennifer Ash (good for you to read too!)

Sleeping:
The No-Cry Sleep Solution, by Elizabeth Pantley
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth, M.D.

Nutrition & Health:
The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for your Child, by Robert Sears
Top 100 Baby Purees or First Meals, both by Annabel Karmel
Organic Baby and Toddler Cookbook, by Lizzie Vann
The Family Nutrition Book, by William Sears, M.D.
Seattle Children's Hospital Homepage
Wholesome Baby
KellyMom

Parenting Styles & Discipline:
Parenting with Love and Logic, by Foster Cline M.D., and Jim Fay
Becoming the Parent You want to Be, by Laura Davis and Janis Keyser
Happiest Toddler on the Block, by Harvey Karp, M.D.
The Five Love Languages, By Gary Chapman
Nanny 911, by Deborah Carroll and Stella Reid

Having Fun:
Education.com (Great simple ideas for any age!)
Curious George, PBS Kids (There is a lot to learn from the Man in the Yellow Hat!!)
Eebees Adventures, All in a Day's Play(Watch these parents play with Eebee and other babies!)

Other Great Related Info:
Real Boys, by William Pollack, Ph.D.
Signing Time Board Book Vol. 1: My First Signs, by Rachel de Azevedo Coleman and Emilie de Azevedo Brown
Sign with your Baby, By Dr. Joseph Garcia
The Garden of Fertility, by Katie Singer
Parenting center: WebMD
A Place of Our Own (I Tivo this show and watch when I can! I ALWAYS learn something relevent!! The website rocks too! Plus, they really will answer your questions if they can!)
Cookie Magazine (This has grown on me! I rip out recipes, travel ideas, and inspiring stories almost every month! Check it out if you don't subscribe already!)

By the way, if there is something you think I must have on this list or would like me to check out, please let me know! I am always seeking out the advice and wisdom of others! And that includes you! Thanks for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment